I have never blogged before. I have been encouraged to do so for some time, to the extent that this blog was set up for me. I’d better start!
My chief interests are food, travel, cricket, live theatre, live music, and going to the cinema. I am at my happiest sitting at the cricket eating a picnic, or trying different foods on my travels, or producing a table groaning with home cooked food.
A friend told a friend that if you don’t know what to write start with a list. The following list, in no particular order, is a selection from the strong views that I hold about food. You may disagree however I hope it entertains, and maybe inspires some ideas for your own food dictatorship.
- You may eat to live, I live to eat.
- Tea is tea. Those fruit and herbal things are tisanes. Please remember this as I am English.
- Brownies should not contain nuts. Brownies are squidgy.
- Steak should never be well done.
- Raw spinach good, cooked spinach bad.
- Lamb should not be able to baa as it comes to the table.
- Lobster should not be overdressed. Some things are better naked.
- Sprinkling coriander liberally does not make food exotic, it makes it taste of soap.
- Please do not ask me if I want diet tonic, I do not want to ruin my gin.
- Water comes from taps in our houses, eating establishments, and workplaces, except in extreme circumstances.
- Fish should be opaque, not flapping.
- Building a tower, that I will have to ruin to eat, does not make me think that you are a good cook.
- A homemade cake is an embodiment of love.
- Don’t be a food snob. A good hot dog is a thing of wonder.
- I would rather eat meat and chocolate less often and buy the best.
- Salad should not be 95% lettuce or other tasteless/bitter leaves.
- Drink whatever wine you like, at whatever temperature you like, with anything you like.
- If guests season your food before they have tasted it you are quite in your rights to kill them.
- Margarine is an abomination. A good kitchen needs proper butter and natural oils.
- Share as often as possible. Eating alone is just functional.
- Try everything once if you get the opportunity.
I’d love to hear your thoughts.
See you next time.